By J Rodgers | Image property of respective holders.
We’re down to the lucky seven this week and Idol has gone country. The amazingly blue-eyed Martina McBride is this weeks mentor. As we learn, country doesn’t suit everyone.
Let’s rank them from the best to you know who back where he belongs.
American Idol S6 (Finalist) Episode 6 Recap
1. Melinda – “Trouble is a Woman” by Julie Reeves – one of her best performances – fun & sassy – looked much better this week – Randy said solid performance from our resident pro – Paula said picked the right song and sang her heart out – Simon said fantastic, great song choice.
2. Jordin – “A Broken Wing” by Martina McBride – it takes guts to sing the mentor’s song – soulful – beautiful ending – Randy said one of the most difficult songs to sing, da bomb – Paula said she looks gorgeous, fantastic job – Simon said for the first time since we’ve met I think she could win American Idol (I said that last week).
3. Phil – “Where the Blacktop Ends” by Keith Urban – great song for him good performance – had fun – would have liked to see him in a cowboy hat – Randy said he could have a career in country, hot – Paula said he looked comfortable – Simon said it’s only taken 10 weeks for him to make a good song choice, it suited him and showed personality.
4. Chris Richardson – “Mayberry” by Rascal Flats – cute – certainly not his best – Randy said sang ok, but no connection or emotion – Paula said joy and love didn’t come through – Simon said non-descript nasally vocal, insignificant.
5. Blake – “When the Stars Go Blue” by Tim McGraw – did not enjoy this performance – lots of vocal problems – Randy said he picked the right song – Paula agreed and said she liked the choreography – Simon said he was not jumping out of his chair, it was ok.
6. LaKisha – “Jesus Take the Wheel” by Carrie Underwood – I was afraid country was not her genre – screechy in parts – Randy said pitch problems, not her best vocals – Paula said have to agree with Randy – Simon said song was not for her, shouting in parts.
7. Sanjaya – “Let’s Give Them Something to Talk About” by Bonnie Raitt – we’ll do the obligatory hair description: a curly do with a red bandana – as hard as he tries to work the audience he can’t make up for this off key mess of a performance – there will be plenty of talking after this – enough already – Randy said karaoke, vocally not good – Paula said loves adversity – Simon said utterly horrendous, honestly as bad as anything we see at the beginning of American Idol (the auditions), hideous.
Wednesday night a performance by the beautiful Martina McBride plus results on Fox.