Well, we are to the “Touring Top Ten”. This week’s mentor is the stunning Gwen Stefani. Does anyone have more perfect skin? The theme for the week is No Doubt songs or songs from artists that inspired Gwen.
Let’s break it down.
American Idol S6 (Finalist) Episode 3 Recap
1. Melinda – sang the Donna Summer disco classic “Heaven Knows” – one of my favorite performances from her – she was animated and worked the stage – Randy said “so dope” – Simon said it was probably not her best performance, but it was vocally outstanding.
2. Gina – belted “I’ll Stand by You” (The Pretenders) – ballads truly suit her voice – very strong performance – Randy said it was one of her best performances ever – Simon said it was not one of her best performances it was her best performance.
3. Jordin – made a gutsy call and sang No Doubt’s “Hey Baby” - really a fun performance – vocally reminded me of Christina Aguilera at the end of the song – Randy said brilliant – Simon said she was the most improved but found the delivery of the song ‘copycatish’.
4. Phil – what a comeback – a great rendition of “Every Breath You Take” by The Police – the song suited him perfectly – great finish – you really notice his eyes when he wears a hat – Randy said liked it dog – Simon agreed “very good”.
5. LaKisha – chose the song that literally closed down establishments in the ‘70’s, “Last Dance” by Donna Summer – a nice interpretation with a powerful ending – please don’t dance – Randy said it was hot – Simon said it was a great vocal and she looked 30 years younger than last week.
6. Blake – crooned “Love Song” by The Cure - a very subdued ballad – I found it a little boring – I hear he has a fan following called ‘The Blaker Girls’ - Randy said he liked it, but it wasn’t perfect – Paula loved it, found it to be hip and cool, wants to see him in the finale – Simon thought he was the strongest guy.
7. Chris Richardson – chose “Don’t Speak” by No Doubt – probably his most ‘boy bandish’ performance yet – definitely a young Timberlakesque feel – Randy said he liked the flavor and he should show more of his R&B side – Paula thought it was good – Simon felt it was a much improved song choice over last week, but thought the vocals struggled in the middle.
8. Haley – sang Cyndi Lauper’s “True Colors” – off key in places – went a much more mature route this week – hated the end – Randy thought it was ahright, but pitchy – Simon found it sweet but forgettable, too safe.
9. Chris Sligh – I think he’s lost the drive – his performance of “Every Little Thing She does is Magic” by The Police was more than forgettable – he could not keep in tempo with the band – this may be the last we see of him – Randy thought it was a good song choice but the rhythm was a train wreck – Simon said it was a mess and all over the place.
10. And now for the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen on American Idol – Sanjaya in a seven ponytail faux hawk – can you say rooster - I was laughing so hard I couldn’t pay attention to his singing – wait perhaps that was a good thing – he forgot the words and was beyond pitchy – the song was ‘Bathwater’ by No Doubt - Randy said he was speechless – Simon said he presumed he had no mirror and he has resigned himself that it doesn’t matter what they say anymore, Sanjaya is in his own universe – when will this madness end?
Results Wednesday night on Fox. Plus performances from Gwen Stefani and Akon.