This was Diana Ross week. There are some great songs to choose from between her solo career and her songbook with the Supremes. Our contestants didn’t necessarily choose wisely. (I would love to know exactly
how song selection is made.) Let’s review this week’s performances best to worst.
American Idol S6 12 Finalist Recap
1. Without a doubt LaKisha singing ‘God Bless the Child’ – this girl is already a pro – she was in control – just amazing – I see her following in Jennifer Hudson’s footsteps.
2. Melinda with ‘Home’ from The Wiz – she had Paula in tears (not that hard to do) and Simon comparing her to a young Gladys Knight.
3. Jordin performing the ballad ‘If We Hold on Together’ – she was poised with pure vocals – how tall is she? Ryan looked tiny next to her.
4. I was excited that Stephanie would be singing the disco hit ‘Love Hangover’, but she never got to the good part – she did forget some of the words – her voice quality beautiful.
5. Phil chose ‘I’m Gonna Make You Love Me’ – he made a really good showing – big jump in the standings for him tonight - to be perfectly honest I like him better in hats.
6. The sweet, haunting ‘Missing You’ sung by Haley had good and bad – she forgot the words and didn’t cover well – but I agree with Simon about her having good stage presence – after his comment she melted into a puddle of happy tears.
7. Gina picked ‘Love Child’ which was a good song for her voice, but there was too much screechy screaming for me.
8. Blake’s rendition of ‘You Keep Me Hanging On’ was ok – I understood him trying to ‘modernize’ the song, but it was just ok – he is a cutie though.
9. I would really like to have a tie for the 9th and 10th spots, but I think I will award it to Chris Richardson singing “The Boss” – I had such great hopes for him – I don’t know what happened this week.
10. The other Chris (Sligh) was my biggest disappointment of the week – his version of ‘Endless Love’ seemed endless – the song was practically unrecognizable - he has such a great voice but you certainly didn’t get that in this performance.
11. Brandon sang ‘You Can’t Hurry Love’ but he will certainly hurry himself out of the competition with this performance.
12. Last but not least Sanjaya – what can I say – he ‘sang’, and I use the term loosely, ‘Ain’t No Mountain High Enough’ yeah to throw myself off of if he isn’t voted out of the competition – I have been to high school talent shows with better performances – and then there’s the faux ‘fro – help me please! Unfortunately, for whatever reason, he has developed a fan base and will probably be around for awhile longer – remember ‘Chicken Little’. People, if you keep voting for him, eventually good people will have to leave the show to keep him, it’s just not right.
American Idol results tonight on Fox. Performances on Tuesdays at 8PM on Fox.