By Ryan Parsons | Image property of respective holders
This may be a list of the least of 10 evils, but here goes:
Video Game Adaptations That Are... Good?
10. Postal – At least in its attempt to be shocking, Uwe Boll’s latest stands out.
9. Silent Hill - There’s nothing extraordinary about this but it tells a coherent story. The fans of the game should be happy.
8. Blood Rayne – Uwe Boll’s “best” movie is delightfully mediocre compared to the others, landing a spot on a best list for this genre.
7. Double Dragon – Surprisingly, this early entry is not bad. Doesn’t have anything to do with the game, but it’s got some fun fighting.
6. Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? – Okay, it’s a TV show but they made a good game show out of this classic game.
5. Pokemon: The First Movie – I can only assume, as I’ve never seen a Pokemon movie, but as one of the most successful financially, the fans must have loved it.
4. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and the Cradle of Life – The sequel was actually way better than the original and easily Jan De Bont’s best movie, but by now nobody cared about either.
3. Resident Evil – A solid zombie horror movie is among the genre’s best.
2. Street Fighter – I have a soft spot for the Van Damme movie. It’s big, loud and stupid but it’s so much fun and it looks great.
1. Mortal Kombat – The only truly solid movie of this genre, Mortal Kombat knows exactly what it is, weaves in the mythology of the game’s characters and has great fun. What other top 10 list would have two Paul W.S. Anderson movies on it?